New to Higher Education (1-day)
If you are new to higher education and have experience working in a private company or publically traded company, you have no doubt noticed a number of similarities and differences in how business is conducted within your institution. Corporations, whether privately or publically held, operate with one primary outcome-maximize shareholder wealth. Universities and Colleges are large organizations which operate like a business, but with many different motivations and desired outcomes. This workshop, designed for the new higher education employee, will explore the similarities and differences faced by a professional when beginning a career at a college or university. This includes anyone interested in enhancing their knowledge of the higher education enterprise, processes, and stewardship.
- Understand where we came from, who we are, and where we are headed
- Explore concepts and components of higher education
- Explore shared governance and board relationships
- Identify processes occurring around the college and university in addition to those involved in the "business transactions"
- Gain a basic understanding of authoritative guidance governing unique legal, human resources, and fiscal activities of colleges and universities
Who Should Attend:
Individuals of all levels and from all divisions within a college or university who have a desire to improve performance by gaining a better understanding of their operating environment will benefit from participation. The workshop is designed for those who are new to higher education or those who wish to gain a better understanding of the higher education environment.
Attendees of the workshop will earn 7.5 CPE units in personal development. Note: CPE's are subject to adjustment due to minor schedule modifications.